Foodie Friday: Not Your Ordinary Beef Stew
- 1½ - 2 pounds London Broil, cut into half inch pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced parsnips
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1½ cups sliced celery
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sherry cooking wine
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Add cubed meat and flour in a freezer bag and shake to coat
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrots, onion, celery, potatoes and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, water, sherry, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
If you liked this post you may also like...