If you were to ask my husband if we save money using cloth diapers, he might have his doubts. I have a large stash; more diapers than one single toddler could need. I have a bit of a problem, but let’s not talk about that now.
I have mentioned before that I used disposables for the first 6 months. I used “eco-friendlier” diapers and paid a little more for them. I joined the Amazon Mom program then when they had really great deals and saved 30% on them. I just went through my old Amazon orders and for the first 6 months I paid $252.88 in diapers and wipes. This is with a great discount that is no longer offered and does not count the packs bought at my local Babies R Us or Target. It also doesn’t take into consideration the silly bag systems for the fancy-shmancy diaper pail system that we had.
How much have I spent on cloth diapers in the past 11 months? Probably about $400, but this includes diapers that I didn’t like so much and have sold. I have made back almost $200 on selling our used diapers. Try doing that with used Huggies!
Keep in mind that if you went to your local store and bought a case of diapers, the amount that I spent for 6 months would be more like a 4 month supply.
I must admit that the amount spent above doesn’t actually give a fair picture of the size of my stash. How did I acquire this many diapers with so little money?
- Shop around for sales and use coupons. The sites that I frequent have coupon codes listed right on their sites. Like the Facebook pages of cloth diaper stores for additional coupons and specials
- Buy seconds! What are seconds? They are brand new diapers with a slight flaw so the manufacturer can’t sell them at full price. I have only done this twice, but I still can’t find the flaw in the two diaper seconds that I bought. They were both supposedly for uneven stitching
- Sign up for daily deal sites like Baby Half Off, BabySteals, and Eco Baby Buys. Sites like Zulily (aff. link) also have diapers from time to time.
- Enter giveaways! I cannot stress this one enough. For the first few months I never won anything and then suddenly I started winning like crazy! I have literally won a stash worth of diapers in giveaways since November. So yes, they DO pay off! Pro tip: follow the #clothdiapers hashtag on Twitter to find some great giveaways.
- Buy used. I bought a lot of used goodmamas for cheap and as mentioned above, I have sold a lot.
Here are even more ideas for saving money on a cloth diapers. So get to building that stash!
Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net