Sometimes you don’t want to have to pay a professional blog designer to make a simple blog header or Facebook cover. Now you can make a simple, attractive blog header for free and you don’t have to be a designer to do so. I’m sure not! I just needed something simple and this is how I did it.
To make a blog header all I used were some free graphics that I found online, Microsoft Paint and a free photo editing software called PhotoScape. When finding images online make sure you aren’t infringing on someone else’s copyright. Find graphics that are free for personal use or you can use your own photos.
I also made a Facebook cover for my Page that I will add to the bottom of this post. The method is the same, just the sizing is a little different.
1. You will need to find out the size of your header. For WordPress go to your dashboard → Appearance → Header. Mine was 940 x 198 pixels. The dimensions may be a little different if you are using Blogger.
2. Open Paint, choose Image → Attributes → then enter your height and width in pixels
3. Add the background color you would like it to be and then save it to your computer
4. Open PhotoScape and then open your blank header
5. Choose Object then the picture icon to add clip art or images
6. You can resize the image by putting your cursor over the corner of the square around your image and moving your mouse or by manually entering the number of pixels
7. You can add a frame around your header if you would like, just note that some frames add extra pixels and may be cut off when you install it to your page. Account for the extra size or choose a very small frame.
8. To add text, go to Object and then click on the T icon
9. Save it and voila! You have a new blog header
Making a Facebook cover for your Timeline or Page is much the same but the dimensions are a little different. For a Facebook cover your dimensions should be 851 x 315 pixels, then follow the steps above.