How to Make a Blog Header in 9 Easy Steps {Tutorial}

How to make a blog header in 9 stepsSometimes you don’t want to have to pay a professional blog designer to make a simple blog header or Facebook cover. Now you can make a simple, attractive blog header for free and you don’t have to be a designer to do so. I’m sure not! I just needed something simple and this is how I did it.

To make a blog header all I used were some free graphics that I found online, Microsoft Paint and a free photo editing software called PhotoScape. When finding images online make sure you aren’t infringing on someone else’s copyright. Find graphics that are free for personal use or you can use your own photos.

I also made a Facebook cover for my Page that I will add to the bottom of this post. The method is the same, just the sizing is a little different.

1. You will need to find out the size of your header. For WordPress go to your dashboard → Appearance → Header. Mine was 940 x 198 pixels. The dimensions may be a little different if you are using Blogger.

2. Open Paint, choose Image → Attributes → then enter your height and width in pixels

Blog Header Tutorial 1

3. Add the background color you would like it to be and then save it to your computer

Blog Header Tutorial 3

4. Open PhotoScape and then open your blank header

Blog Header Tutorial 4

5. Choose Object then the picture icon to add clip art or images

If the images you’re using aren’t transparent you can add a transparent background yourself.

Blog Header Tutorial 6

Blog Header Tutorial 8

6. You can resize the image by putting your cursor over the corner of the square around your image and moving your mouse or by manually entering the number of pixels

Blog Header Tutorial 7

7. You can add a frame around your header if you would like, just note that some frames add extra pixels and may be cut off when you install it to your page. Account for the extra size or choose a very small frame.

Blog Header Tutorial 9 Blog Header Tutorial 10

8. To add text, go to Object and then click on the T icon

Blog Header Tutorial 11

9. Save it and voila! You have a new blog header

Blog Header Tutorial 13

Making a Facebook cover for your Timeline or Page is much the same but the dimensions are a little different. For a Facebook cover your dimensions should be 851 x 315 pixels, then follow the steps above.

Facebook cover tutorial

laptop image credit: TrueMitra via freevectors.com

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers
Share Button

23 Responses to How to Make a Blog Header in 9 Easy Steps {Tutorial}

1. Haven’t heard of PhotoScape before. Looks easy and the results are great!
    Anne Sweden recently posted..Cloth Diapering Your Newborn: Giveaway #4My Profile

2. I love photoscape! But I haven’t used Paint. Thanks so much for this. I am planning to c ompletely redo my blog, name and all, but it will be a few months. For now though, I’ve been looking for a header. Thanks!
    Shannon Stubbs recently posted..Day 27 #30things Favorite part of my bodyMy Profile

3. Awesome post! I never heard of photo-scape but I’m gonna give it a try.

4. Judy says:

Thank you! So simple following this! <3

5. Yay!!! I did it. Took me a little bit simply because I had to make images with transparent backgrounds but it’s done and so much better than the plain text header I had before. Check it out: http://justmarriedmomof3.com/
    Michelle Hagewood recently posted..Keurig K-Cup Cocoa #SaleMy Profile

• Regan says:

Nice work! And thanks for the idea. I have a site that I use for making transparent backgrounds so I will add that to this post since not all of the images people find will be transparent like the ones I found were :)

6. Pingback: How to Make a Blog Header in 9 Easy Steps - The SITS Girls

7. Can’t wait to try this!
    Laura Martin recently posted..NEC AwarenessMy Profile

8. Love this tutorial, this is so useful for DIY-ers :) I like how you showed it can be used for Facebook covers too. Thanks for sharing, Regan!
    Delia @ Blog Formatting recently posted..How to create quotes images with QuotesCoverMy Profile

9. Trish says:

Sweet!!! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!
    Trish recently posted..How to Clean a Ceiling FanMy Profile

10. I’d love to have a unique blog header, but I think the exercise steps you gave won’t work as I use a mac. Any alternative steps? Thanks for posting for the masses. I think you helped a lot of people with this tip. Have a blessed day.
    Vicki M Taylor recently posted..Friday Five Minute Exercise – IntuitionMy Profile

• Regan says:

Hi Vicki, I don’t use Apple products so I’m not sure what programs are equivalent on a Mac. Do you have a program that functions similar to MS paint where you can make a blank image in the dimensions of your header? That’s the most important step in my opinion. I recommend Photoscape because it’s easy to change the size of an image or text but maybe you could use an online program sunch as PicMonkey or Fotor for adding text and images.

11. Kyomm says:

great tutorial! hadn’t heard of photoscape but am willing to try, been wanting to redo my header for ages, thanks for sharing
    Kyomm recently posted..Find {anything} in a woman’s bagMy Profile

12. Heather says:

I have also done my header myself but I used Publisher. I also bought a pic from Dreamstime. I think there are a lot of options and you can use whatever you feel comfortable with.
    Heather recently posted..How My Infertility Empowered MeMy Profile

13. Pingback: . link love 1/19 . | . running with spoons .

14. this is a great tool to have. i am so happy that i am finding all these things and learning on my own, saves a lot of startup money.
    Charisse Murray recently posted..Blogger Opps-Blended 4 Success AnnouncementMy Profile

15. Oh my! Thank you so much for this! I just started my blog last week and it is crazy all the things to learn! I had to change my theme to find my header size. So glad I found you!
    Jan Solitro recently posted..Florida frost gardening tip!My Profile

16. Krissy A says:

Do you have any recommendations on where to find free clip art type images that aren’t copyright protected? I’d love to redo my header, but I’m so afraid that I’ll unintentionally be using someone elses work! Can I use Microsoft ClipArt? Thanks for sharing this!
    Krissy A recently posted..Best Books for Kids- Preschool EditionMy Profile

• Regan says:

There isn’t a ton of good ones available for free without a link back (which is kind of hard to do if you’re using it for a blog design) but they can be found with some looking. I usually just google free clip art and make sure I look at the license agreements. The one I used for this example isn’t something that I would normally choose but it was free and worked for this example :) I have used Microsoft clip art for blog post images.

17. Hana Byrne says:

Hi
    I read the comments – I too am on a MAC – but – unable to get photos cape to work on MAC
    Are these instructions on for Non Mac users?
    Also – what theme is your blog – Love the theme!!
    keep up the Great work online!!

• Regan says:

I don’t have a Mac but this is what I could find for Photoscape on a Mac. I’m not sure if there are any differences in functionality but I would assume that they would at least be similar http://x.photoscape.org/mac/

My theme is a Vintage Child theme and thank you for your compliments :)