How to Get Rid of Ants Simply and Without Chemicals

Do you have a problem with ants? With kids, pets, and environmental concerns you may not want to use harsh chemicals to get rid of them and you don’t have to. There are several natural remedies for ants but this is my favorite because it’s cheap, easy, and safe.

Cornmeal. That’s it. Pour out a pile of cornmeal where you see ants coming in or near where you see them congregating outside, give it a few days to a week and your ant problem is history.

Simple way to get rid of ants without chemicals

How does this work? The ants will bring the cornmeal back to their colony like any other food item but eating it will kill them because they can’t digest it. This isn’t an instantaneous method, but it’s an effective one.

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

13 Responses to How to Get Rid of Ants Simply and Without Chemicals

1. Alexis Bertch says:

We’ve had a solid week of rain here and I now have ants with eggs in my mailbox! I may try this! Thanks!

• Regan says:

Oh yuck! It would work for the ants, I don’t what you could do for the eggs. Maybe pour salt on them? So gross, I hope you get it taken care of

2. Considering my entire subdivision has an ant problem (and our greenbelt in the middle seems to be overrun), I’ll try ANYTHING at this point. This is a seriously timely post.
    Suzi Satterfield recently posted..Your Cloth Diapers Are Not Ruined – RelaxMy Profile

• Regan says:

Our house is right up against an open space and we have a lot of anthills on the hill leading up to it and they wander down to the house. I put a few piles of it outside around the house and on the hill and the problem has gotten quite a bit better. We also had a huge ant colony that seemed to be under our back deck and they’re gone now.

3. AlannaB says:

My husband bought some mulch that was infested with ants and spiders. This cornmeal method seemed to work very well because I haven’t seen many of the smaller ants.

4. Borax mixed with a little sugar also works wonderfully and is safe for kids and pets. I have had great success with borax. Borax also kills the weeds along with the ants in the rocks around my house.
    Heather Johnson recently posted..Baby Water Safety and the Prevention of HyponatremiaMy Profile

• Regan says:

I haven’t heard of using Borax but I may give it a try for the ants on the hill next to our house. We always have some on hand to soften the water in the dishwasher

• Lynn B says:

We have terrible hard water and our glasses always have spots, does the Borax help with that? And how do you use it in the dishwasher?

Thanks for the ant tip, I’ve pinned it as I know I’ll need it in the future! My mom found this all natural peppermint/wintergreen spray (for flying bugs) which she uses at her home that seems to work on ants and it’s safe for kids and pets. I like this idea better though.

• Regan says:

We sprinkled about a half cup in the bottom of the dishwasher before running it. You could so the same thing with Calgon powder. Honestly, Finish Quantum pods are helping more. The Borax was working for a while and then we were getting the awful hard water film back again but you could try the Borax and Calgon first to see if that helps since there are less chemicals.
          Regan recently posted..My Love Affair With Pocket Diapers is OverMy Profile

5. Julie says:

I looked this up because I wanted to know why corn kills ants. I wondered if GMOs had anything to do with it since corn is so heavily engineered. The sites I looked up say that cornmeal doesn’t kill them, it just confuses their trails and gives them something to eat and that’s why they seem to disappear, at least for a while. Honestly though, I’m going to try it anyway. I just moved in to a house with a boat load of ants. We live next to an open field so that doesn’t help things! I’m so sick of finding ants all over everything and I don’t want to have to pay for an exterminator to come poison me and my babies. Thanks for the tip.

• Regan says:

I have read several things from what you’ve read to that it kills them either by 1. being unable to digest it and they starve and 2. it expands in their stomach when they drink water and they explode. I can’t tell you if one or the other is correct as no one seems to really know but I do know that I have far less ants when I give them a big ole pile of cornmeal. Hopefully it works for you, too! :)

6. Carissa Joslyn says:

I just moved into a new place on July 2nd and i’ve noticed I have ants in here! quite a bit of them, too! I’ll have to find where they’re coming in and try this! i have little kids and don’t want ants everywhere!