This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of North American Property Services. All opinions are 100% mine.
Why do we get sick in the winter? You may think that the cold temperatures weaken your immune system, hence the reason to “bundle up before you catch a cold”. The truth is because it’s a time when we spend more time inside. When we’re indoors in a closed air system with all of the germs floating around either in dust or from breathing in other people’s germs, we get sick.
Everyone has heard of spring cleaning, but really we should also be doing a winter cleaning as well. North American Property Services, headquartered in Denver, CO and one of the top janitorial services in the US, has some great tips on keeping your home clean and your family healthy in the winter months.
1. Wash your hands often to avoid the spread of germs.
2. Disinfect items that are touched frequently such as door handles, TV remotes, and keyboards for all devices. Also disinfect your landline and cell phones.
3. Dust carries germs so wiping down with disinfecting solutions will make your house cleaner as well as remove germs that can cause illnesses such as colds and the flu. Don’t forget to remove dust from ceiling fan blades, window ledges, and walls to wipe away germs. Don’t neglect your light bulbs or the dust bunnies under furniture and in the corners of floors and ceilings.
4. Because your heating system circulates dust, dirt and germs you should dust more often in the winter.
5. Dry-mop floors regularly, especially in high-traffic areas.
6. Clean interior windows, another germ collector in your house.
7. Deep clean your carpets once a year to eliminate dirt and germs. After the holidays is a good time for cleaning carpets when you are more likely to entertain and have spills.
8. Scrub your bathroom grout with a disinfectant to remove germs that may spread between family members.
9. Do you know what your shoes have come in contact with all day? Take your shoes off at the door to help reduce indoor pollutants.
10. The best winter floor care program is to clean and maintain floor surfaces with extra mopping and scrubbing around entryways and high traffic areas.
Do you do a winter cleaning in your home? How else do you keep yourself and your family from getting sick in the winter?