I have always been a pickle freak and one of my kids loves them, too. To me they always seemed like a pretty harmless snack until I realized that they have food dye in them! I was surprised at the time and now I feel kind of silly for not realizing it earlier. Nothing in nature is that weird yellowish green color.
So to eliminate the dye I decided to try making my own. I tried several recipes and came up with the perfect combination for us and it really couldn’t be easier.
First I bought some jars from TJ Maxx and also saved two pickle jars to use for my pickles.
- 2 lbs mini cucumbers or pickling cucumbers
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2½ cups water
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaping tsp pickling spice
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced (per jar)
- 4-6 heads of fresh dill (per jar)
- 1. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, sea salt, and pickling spice to a pan and bring it to a boil. After it comes to a boil let it it sit to cool to about room temperature.
- 2. Slice your cucumbers how you prefer them; I like them in halves. I use the mini pickles that come in one pound bags at my local grocery store and Sam’s Club.
- 3. Put the cucumber slices in your jars then add your 4-6 heads of dill and 2 sliced cloves of garlic to the jars (I found that leaving them whole made the pickles too garlicky and this comes from someone who loves garlic. Slicing them gives a good amount of garlic flavor without it being too much)
- 4. Once your liquid has cooled pour it evenly into your jars and put them in the refrigerator for at least three days. They taste best after about a week.
- For the size of my jars this recipe makes three of them so for me I use a total of 6 garlic cloves and 2 packages of fresh dill.