I have been knocking around the idea of getting Dub a sandbox or a water table for quite a while now but all I could think about was the mess. The thought of sandy or soaking wet clothes just wasn’t doing it for me and then I had the idea to combine the two.
A sand table! No messy sand in shoes and crevices and no wet clothes. It was the best of both worlds so I set out to build one.
What you’ll need:
- one under bed storage bin
- one 8′ 2×4 cut in four 2′ pieces
- a board approximately 1′ x 3′ (I used a 40 qt. bin but the size of the board depends on how big of a storage bin you use. We had an extra piece of shelving in the garage that we used and it gave us some extra for a place to put a drink or toys on)
- four L-shaped corner braces with screws
- four flat corner braces with screws
- four short screws
- two or three bolts with nuts
- four 3″ screws (if needed for more security)
- exterior paint
- paint brush or roller
- one 50 lb bag of play sand
Brace the legs with the L-shaped corner braces.
Brace the legs more with the flat corner braces.
Our legs were still a little wobbly so we secured them more with one 3″ screw through each leg into the table top.
Then paint your table with exterior paint to protect it from the elements.
Secure the bin to the top of the table with 2-3 bolts down the center and then a short screw in each corner.
Fill with sand and enjoy!
Don’t forget to grab the lid for your storage bin so you will have a cover to keep the sand dry!
Next up, a patio re-do! 🙂