I received a prepaid debit card from Card.com to review and I am excited to tell you about it.
With ever rising bank fees you may be looking for alternatives.
Or what if you have a ding or two on your credit report and aren’t granted a bank account? You then need to resort to a check cashing store and they take a cut of your money for the convenience of giving you cash. They could charge you a fee on top of a percentage. Say you get paid a weekly check of $500 and pay the check cashing store a $5 fee plus 1%. That’s $10 to cash your check every week. If you’re living paycheck to paycheck, $40 a month could end up being significant.
So what’s the catch?
This is a debit card, like the one from your bank, and you can use it EVERYWHERE Visa is accepted — except it’s way cooler and cuter than your crumby old bank card.
- Free to order, activate and load
- Free app and check deposits from your smartphone
- Free direct depositFree card-to-card transfers, any time, anywhere, in seconds
- No overdraft fees — never goes negative!
- Safer than cash – 24/7 support, Visa fraud protection and 100% FDIC insurance on funds
- No debt, financially responsible, no interest/credit/APRs
- No credit check and approval in seconds
- 22,000 in-network ATMs
- Thousands of cool, unique card designs to choose from, including brands like: Garfield, Popeye, Betty Paige, James Dean, Care Bears, Walking Dead, Star Trek, Autism Awareness, Breast Cancer Research, Shark Week, Where’s Waldo, Doodle Jump, etc.
If you’re able to deposit at least $200 a week then your Card.com debit card is free. No bank fees, no check cashing fees, nothing. If you’re unable to load your debit card with $800 per month then your monthly fee is $5.95. This is significantly less than the fees from a check cashing store and is less than many bank fees. A bank may require you to maintain a minimum balance of several hundred dollars on your checking account. We all have bills to pay, how many people can maintain a minimum balance every month?
I chose my zodiac symbol for my card. It came with very simple activation instructions, terms, and a card to set up direct deposit. I used the card like my normal debit card and it couldn’t have been easier.
What have you got to lose except excessive fees? Try it and if you don’t like it, cancel it within 30 days. There’s no risk.