This phrase is one that is heard far too often. Usually spoken to young or teenage boys by other males, even adult males. It is meant as an insult without any thought at all as to what you are really saying.
What you’re really saying is that girls and women are inferior. Less than. Not as important. In your attempt to joke with or insult this boy you are really insulting his mother, his sister, his grandmother, his aunt.
Stop it. Stop hurling these words around as insults and show some respect for the females in your life.
To me, being and acting like a girl should be a compliment. Women are NOT inferior unless you’re talking about upper body strength.
What women are:
- We can grow people inside our bodies.
- We can feed little people with our bodies.
- We can be businesswomen, doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, anything that a man can be.
- We are nurturers and are often the glue that holds a family together because of our nurturing nature.
- We can handle having a cold and carrying on with our days. (are you with me on this, ladies?)
- We can handle labor and childbirth which is not at all painless.
- We’re willing to ask for directions so we can get to our destinations in a reasonable amount of time.
- A woman can get out of a speeding ticket much easier than a man.
- We live longer.
So while yes, there are some things that men can do better than women, like open pickle jars, there are just as many things that women can do just as well as or better than a man. Different, but equal.
So please, stop perpetuating the idea that women are inferior to men. Stop instilling this prejudice in boys by saying that he’s such a girl or acting like a girl. Being a girl is a GOOD thing and I am so happy to be one. I am proud to be a strong woman and it isn’t anything to be ashamed of.
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici / FreeDigitalPhotos.net