I love homemade bread but I don’t want to spend all day kneading it and making a mess all over my counter. I have a bread machine to make this task easier but the problem with that is the shape of the loaf is wonky.
The loaves are almost round so you end up with the mother of all sandwiches that only a linebacker can finish. My solution to this dilemma was a huge lightbulb moment. I don’t know why I never thought of it sooner! This bread is started in the bread machine and finished in the oven to make not only a delicious loaf of bread but also a typically shaped loaf.
First I have to say that I’m not reinventing the wheel here. This recipe isn’t my own creation but I adapted the method used to make it.
Making homemade 100% wheat bread is tricky. I’ve tried it several times and it always comes out like a big dry brick. I’ve read that there isn’t enough gluten to make a softer loaf so the solution seems to be to make a half wheat, half white loaf. Let me tell you, this bread is delicious and it’s made with only a few simple ingredients.
Add your ingredients – water, butter, honey, bread flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and bread machine or fast rising yeast to your bread machine pan. (recipe card below)
Set the machine to the dough setting and let it go. This will mix and proof your dough but not cook it. In my machine it takes about an hour and a half from start to finish.
Once your dough is finished take it out of the bread machine and transfer it to a lightly greased bread pan. Mold it to the pan and cover it with a clean kitchen towel to rise.
When the dough has doubled (approximately) remove the towel, brush the top with melted butter and put your loaf into a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
To see if the bread is done I flick the top with my fingers and if it sounds almost hollow then I remove it from the oven.
Allow your loaf to cool, slice, and enjoy. This loaf is perfect for sandwiches or warm with a little butter.
50/50 Wheat Bread
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature or slightly warmer water
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter I use unsalted
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt I use kosher
- 1 1/2 tsp bread machine or fast rising yeast
- Put the ingredients in your bread machine pan in the order listed.
- Set the machine to the dough setting. It will take about an hour and a half depending on your machine.
- Once it has finished in the bread machine, remove the dough and put it in a lightly greased loaf pan. Shape the dough to the pan and cover with a clean kitchen towel to rise.
- Once almost doubled in shape put the loaf in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
Adapted from Food.com