We all need a few easy chicken recipes that we can keep in our back pocket for a rainy day. Now that fall weather will be arriving soon (it hasn’t yet here in Colorado!) I start to pull out my one pot/pan comfort food recipes that my family enjoys. One of our favorites is Chicken Cacciatore.
This recipe is so easy and tasty that even the youngest members of your family will eat it up. This is by far one of Dub’s favorite meals. Then again, even though he doesn’t have a drop of Italian blood in him, you would never know it based on his favorite foods!
Gather your ingredients:
5-6 chicken thighs, flour, smoked paprika, kosher salt, extra virgin olive oil, a yellow onion, a bell pepper, 2-3 cloves garlic, a (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, oregano, Italian seasoning, and white wine (I use Chardonnay)
To get started, put about a cup of flour in a large bag along with about a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a half teaspoon each of kosher salt and course ground pepper. Add your chicken to the bag (I remove the skin first) and coat evenly with your flour mixture.
Add to a hot pan with a generous coating of extra virgin olive oil. Fry until both sides are golden brown, then remove to a plate covered with a paper towel or two.
To your pan add a little more EVOO and when that’s hot, add your peppers, onions, and garlic. Cook until fragrant and onions are translucent.
Add your chicken back to the pan along with your tomatoes, wine, and spices. Cover and cook on med-low for about 40 minutes. Feel free to add mushrooms near the end of your cooking time if you’d like. I don’t do mushrooms so I leave them out.
Serve with rice or pasta and enjoy!
Easy Chicken Cacciatore
- 5-6 chicken thighs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white win I use Chardonnay
- Combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Shake the chicken in the flour mixture until coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Fry the chicken pieces until they are browned on both sides. Remove from skillet.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the tomatoes, spices, and wine. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice or pasta