Thank you Hillshire Brands for sponsoring this post.
We don’t have brunch every Sunday, or even breakfast for that matter. I admit that I’m not much of a morning person and while my husband is more of one than I am, as a family we tend to grab something simple to eat in the morning. Every once in a while though we do plan to make a big breakfast or brunch. Last Sunday I chose to make an easy, delicious brunch casserole that my whole family loved!
I stopped at my local Safeway while I was out with Dub and they have a great selection of breakfast sausage that you could use for your casserole. We chose the Jimmy Dean Regular refrigerated breakfast sausage but any of these choices would be perfect. I was in luck that the Jimmy Dean sausage I was shopping for was not only on sale, I also had a coupon! It’s almost as if Sunday brunch was meant to be.
As I mentioned, I am not a morning person so when I decide to make a big breakfast or brunch for my family I want it to be as easy as it is delicious. Using rolls of refrigerated sausage is so simple.
Cook your sausage per the package directions. When it is no longer pink drain the fat and set it aside on a plate covered with a paper towel to collect the rest of the grease.
After you’ve cooked your sausage and set is aside, cook your frozen hashbrowns until thawed and mix them with your sausage and about a 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and add your hashbrown and sausage mixture in the pan.
For the eggs I cooked three scallions (or green onions) and a red pepper until soft and added them to my egg and milk mixture along with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder.
Once combined, pour your egg mixture over the hashbrowns and sausage and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until your eggs are set.
Once your eggs are set add about a cup of a cheese to the top of your casserole (I used cheddar) and bake for another five minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with some toast, juice, and coffee if desired and enjoy a hearty meal with the family.
With brunch recipes this simple and delicious you just may want to make brunch every weekend!
- 2 pounds of refrigerated breakfast sausage
- 1 30-ounce package frozen hashbrowns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder divided
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 scallions green onions
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Prepare hashbrowns according to package directions and add 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir together hashbrowns, sausage and pour into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Dice the red pepper and scallions and cook them in a pan with some olive oil until soft.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and the scallion/red pepper mixture. Pour evenly over hashbrown and sausage mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.