This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyCatMyMuse#CollectiveBiasIt happens every single time. A package comes to the house and the cats claim the box as their own. If you have cats then this probably also happens to you. We always seem to have a box or two on the floor to make the cats happy, but it sure doesn’t look very nice. But it doesn’t have to be this way. You can make your furry family members an easy DIY cat bed with that ugly box and some inexpensive materials that you and your cats will both love. Bonus: sewing machine not required.
For this project, you will need a cat-sized cardboard box with flaps, scissors, glue, Mod Podge, needle and thread, buttons (optional), batting, and fabric. You could go to the fabric store and buy a couple of yards of fabric or upcycle any kind of fabric you may have around the house.
For my DIY cat bed, I used flannel fabric for the box and a soft polyester minky for the cushion. Flannel is easy to clean with a lint roller and minky doesn’t stain and will release cat hair pretty easily in the wash. Also, these fabrics don’t fray like cotton so you won’t have to sew the edges. A yard was perfect for my box and I had some left over after making my cushion.
Instructions for the box
- Center your box on top of the fabric.
- Open the box flap fold the fabric over the flap.
- Glue the edge of the fabric with glue (I used plain old craft glue) and secure with a clip until dry. Repeat this step on all of the flaps making sure the fabric is taut.
- When the glue is dry, cut the excess fabric off the corners of the box leaving enough to fold over the corner of the box and glue it to the box flap. *If you want to measure and cut the fabric beforehand, perfect. I am not a seamstress and for me, this was the best way to make sure I didn’t make a mistake.
- Trim the edges down and tuck them into the side of the box creating your corner, glue to secure.
- Apply Mod Podge to all of the fabric edges to keep them secure, let dry.
- Fold the flaps down inside the box.
Now that your box is covered, it’s time to make the cushion. Trust me, you don’t have to be a master seamstress to make this cushion. I don’t sew at all and am not sure I could even operate a sewing machine. The skills used to make this cushion, I learned in seventh grade Home Ec class. You don’t even have to sew it if you don’t want to. Securing the fabric with safety pins will also work just fine in a pinch.
First, cut the batting to the size of the inside of your box.
Instructions for the cushion
- Fold the fabric over the batting and cut enough to make an envelope.
- Fold the edges of the fabric over the batting and cut the fabric to be even with the edge of the batting except for the two pieces folded over either side.
- With a needle and thread, sew the edge together to form a pocket.
- Fold the other side over (think of the flap of an envelope) and where your corners of fabric are, sew a button on the underneath piece of fabric.
- On the top piece of fabric, pinch it with your fingers and cut a little slit slightly smaller than your button. This will be your button hole.
- Put the cushion inside your box, button side down.
To wash, unbutton the fabric cover, remove the batting and wash the cover in the machine.
Now you have the purrfect DIY cat bed for your box-loving kitty.
My cat Orion absolutely loves his new cat bed and spends the majority of his day in it.
Freya, on the other hand, isn’t as much of a box cat, but she does love to eat so to make her happy we picked up some Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food. She loved it and licked her plate clean. With Muse you don’t have to choose between natural nutrition and food that tastes great. Your cat can have both when you choose Muse. Natural has never been so delicious. Put Muse to the test with our clean plate guarantee.
I only want the best nutrition for my cats and Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food comes in 24 grain-free and natural varieties which is very important to me. Made with real fish and poultry, I feel good about giving it to my cats because they deserve the best. Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food is a wet cat food available in Chowder, in Broth, with Toppers, in Gravy and Paté. Freya loved her tuna with shrimp topper the best.
Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food is available exclusively at PetSmart in the premium cat food aisle. I would love to hear how your cat is your muse. How does your kitty inspire you?
Be sure to try Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food today. Buy three, get three free with this coupon.