This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Please see our full affiliate disclosure here.
Bad things happen to other people, not me. Oh sure, I’ve had my fair share of unpleasant experiences and bad luck, but truly bad things only happen to people on the news. Or so I thought. A few weeks ago I learned rather abruptly that yes, they can also happen to me and I am extremely lucky today that we avoided tragedy by the skin of our teeth. A few weeks ago I had one hell of a wake-up call.
This post has been sitting completed in my drafts for a couple of weeks now. I have hesitated posting this since there are a lot of people out there who see fit to judge others from their glass houses, but then I decided that if I help just one person with my story then it was worth it.
It was late morning and I was finishing up some financial stuff so I could be one step closer to getting our taxes done while Dub was watching Dinosaur Train or something and Red, who was home on Spring Break, was reading a book. Once I was done with what I was doing we were going to run some errands so I sent Dub upstairs to his room to get some shorts and a shirt because at almost four and a half that isn’t something that I would give a second thought to.
I could hear over the monitor that he was messing around a little bit but it sounded like he was climbing on his bed. He likes to look out his window to watch people and cars and with the leaves off the trees, he can see the busier road that we live off of. I then heard a bump and he started to cry. I thought he fell off his bed so I hurried up there and was shocked to see that he had pulled the dresser onto himself.
What?! My biggest fear was realized. There was my baby laying where the arrow in the below picture is pointing with a freaking dresser on top of him. How did this happen?! With my adrenaline in full force I lifted it off of him and was relieved beyond belief that he was fine . . . this time.
He was left with some good sized bruises on his shins but is otherwise perfectly fine and extremely lucky. He had opened the bottom drawers and I think that and the small lip on his bed are what (thankfully!) prevented the dresser from falling flat and with full force.
I have always been very diligent about keeping the dresser strapped to the wall. This has been one of my biggest parenting fears and with Dub being the wild man that he is, for good reason. Then how did this happen, you may ask?
A few months ago we rearranged his room when we moved him from a toddler bed to a twin bed. His room is on the small side so we weren’t 100% sure if this was going to be the permanent furniture placement or not so we held off on re-strapping the dresser to the wall. He has never shown an interest in climbing on it and at almost four and a half we thought, obviously naively, that he likely wouldn’t start now and it would be okay for a little while. I’m kicking myself now, but I’m human and make mistakes. Thankfully my carelessness didn’t cause injury or worse and the dresser is now strapped to the wall again, but please learn from my mistake.
Please, please, please. When it comes to babyproofing your home, don’t forget to secure your dressers, bookcases, and other heavy furniture to the wall if you haven’t already. Trust me, this stuff doesn’t just happen to other people. It can happen to you.