Make Your Own Fleece Liners Easily

Make Your Own Fleece Liners Easily

Fleece liners come in very handy while cloth diapering. They can keep creams that aren’t safe for cloth away from your diapers or keep your baby feeling dry when using natural fiber diapers. But you may wonder: are they worth the price? In my opinion, no. They cost about $1.00 per liner and I find the commercially available ones to be thin. So I decided to I make them myself for 24¢ per wipe.

I am not crafty at all and you don’t have to be to make fleece liners. All need you need to know is how to use a pair of scissors. Your local fabric store probably has a fabric remnant area and they will most likely have fleece. I have always been able to find fleece in mine. It might not be pretty fleece but it’ll be cheap. You could also buy some off the bolt if you’re so inclined and you will still get more for your money than buying commercially made fleece liners.

Make your own fleece liners

Use an insert as a size template

make your own fleece liners

Once you have the first liner cut out then you can use it as a guide to cut the rest of your fabric

make your own fleece liners

They don’t have to be perfect so don’t get too fussy with it. Just prep them and you’re good to go!  To prep them I wash and dry them three times before using them, usually with my regular laundry since we use a cloth diaper friendly detergent for all of our laundry. The first wash you may want to wash them with towels since they can be a bit linty at first.

And there you have it. 26 fleece liners for just over $6.00!

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

13 Responses to Make Your Own Fleece Liners Easily

1. Justice Montgomery says:

Our LO has strep. I just had to make a whole new batch of fleece liners because he’s got the antibiotic poops :( I got a yard, right off the bolt, at Walmart for $4.44 and made 32 liners. I has saved my diapers so much these last few days, and CJ’s Plus formula has saved his booty too :)

2. Nikole H. says:

This is absolutely the way to go! I always use a fleece liner – it makes clean up soo much easier. We even splurged on some fleece of a rival college team to make some special Game Day diapers ;)

• Regan says:

Haha! I love this and have thought about doing the same thing but can’t bring myself to buy Yankees fabric ;)

3. Randi S says:

I haven’t made liner (our baby isn’t here yet!), but I did make some homemade wipes for our un potty trained 5 year old using a fleece blanket I found at the Dollar Tree…$1 made maybe 20 or more wipes? Super cheap…and easy!! Love this idea!!
    Randi S recently posted..All About Being A Mom {Mother’s Day Extravaganza}My Profile

• Regan says:

That’s a great idea and a good deal! I have heard that old receiving blankets are also good for making baby wipes. I haven’t tried making my own wipes yet.

4. Holly says:

Look at you – you ARE crafty! ;)

5. Laura B says:

I definitely plan on doing this because we will be cloth diapering from the beginning. I figure using a little fleece liner in our newborn diapers can help with any potential meconium stains that might happen in the first few days. Will have to check out my local Joann Fabrics for any fleece scraps!

6. Pingback: Identifying Different Types of Diaper Rash | The Anti June Cleaver

7. Heidi says:

Hi,

I haven’t seen the commercial ones. I’m just wondering if they are any thicker or really just regular fleece? This seems easy and cheap enough if there is no difference at all. Also, If I’m using pocket diapers, which have a layer of fleece anyway, does this still help?

• Regan says:

Hi Heidi. I have only tried the Bummis fleece liners and they are very thin. Making your own allows you to make them thicker.

Whether they’re necessary with pocket diapers depends on how you plan to use them. If it’s just for stay dry material against your baby’s skin then it may not be. I use them for diaper creams mostly and sometimes to make poo clean up easier if we’re out

8. Pingback: Roundup of DIY Cloth Diaper Tutorials