Make Your Own Fleece Liners Easily

Make Your Own Fleece Liners Easily

Fleece liners come in very handy while cloth diapering. They can keep creams that aren’t safe for cloth away from your diapers or keep your baby feeling dry when using natural fiber diapers. But you may wonder: are they worth the price? In my opinion, no. They cost about $1.00 per liner and I find the commercially available ones to be thin. So I decided to I make them myself for 24ยข per wipe.

I am not crafty at all and you don’t have to be to make fleece liners. All need you need to know is how to use a pair of scissors. Your local fabric store probably has a fabric remnant area and they will most likely have fleece. I have always been able to find fleece in mine. It might not be pretty fleece but it’ll be cheap. You could also buy some off the bolt if you’re so inclined and you will still get more for your money than buying commercially made fleece liners.

Make your own fleece liners

Use an insert as a size template

make your own fleece liners

Once you have the first liner cut out then you can use it as a guide to cut the rest of your fabric

make your own fleece liners

They don’t have to be perfect so don’t get too fussy with it. Just prep them and you’re good to go!  To prep them I wash and dry them three times before using them, usually with my regular laundry since we use a cloth diaper friendly detergent for all of our laundry. The first wash you may want to wash them with towels since they can be a bit linty at first.

And there you have it. 26 fleece liners for just over $6.00!

Regan is a New England native now living in Colorado with her husband and two sons. She is committed to living greener and is an advocate of cloth diapers, babywearing, breastfeeding, and intuitive parenting. She loves to read, cook, bake, write, and explore her new mountain home.

If you liked this post you might like these

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments

1. Justice Montgomery says

Our LO has strep. I just had to make a whole new batch of fleece liners because he’s got the antibiotic poops :( I got a yard, right off the bolt, at Walmart for $4.44 and made 32 liners. I has saved my diapers so much these last few days, and CJ’s Plus formula has saved his booty too :)

2. Nikole H. says

This is absolutely the way to go! I always use a fleece liner – it makes clean up soo much easier. We even splurged on some fleece of a rival college team to make some special Game Day diapers ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Regan says

Haha! I love this and have thought about doing the same thing but can’t bring myself to buy Yankees fabric ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Regan says

That’s a great idea and a good deal! I have heard that old receiving blankets are also good for making baby wipes. I haven’t tried making my own wipes yet.

• Cece says

Yes! I need to make liners and there are fleece blankets at the Euro Shop (like a dollar store but with Euros). Fantastic, I’ll get one today. Does anyone know if fleece liners stay put better than the thin flushable ones? I got some of those to try and I’m not loving them.

• Regan says

I haven’t had any problems with them shifting very much. As long as they’re as wide (or close) as your diaper then they should stay put.

• Carrie says

I used gDiapers flushable liners in my diapers when I needed to use Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. The liners didn’t shift, but I think when they got wet they didn’t “line” as well, and cream got on my inserts and stained them up pretty bad. :( I wouldn’t risk it. Next time I’m using fleece liners instead.

• Regan says

I have used several brands of flushable liners and most work great for poo disposal but yes, all of the ones I’ve tried would likely let some diaper cream through once they got wet since they’re designed to dissolve when wet in order to be flushed.

3. Laura B says

I definitely plan on doing this because we will be cloth diapering from the beginning. I figure using a little fleece liner in our newborn diapers can help with any potential meconium stains that might happen in the first few days. Will have to check out my local Joann Fabrics for any fleece scraps!

4. Heidi says

Hi,

I haven’t seen the commercial ones. I’m just wondering if they are any thicker or really just regular fleece? This seems easy and cheap enough if there is no difference at all. Also, If I’m using pocket diapers, which have a layer of fleece anyway, does this still help?

• Regan says

Hi Heidi. I have only tried the Bummis fleece liners and they are very thin. Making your own allows you to make them thicker.

Whether they’re necessary with pocket diapers depends on how you plan to use them. If it’s just for stay dry material against your baby’s skin then it may not be. I use them for diaper creams mostly and sometimes to make poo clean up easier if we’re out

5. Lauren Frederick says

if you use a CD safe cream are you able to wash them with your CD’s or either way do you have to wash fleece liners seprate?!.

• Regan says

I wash everything together. Even if I use a non-CD safe cream I squirt a little Dawn on it, let it sit for a bit and wash with everything else and I’ve never had a problem.

• Regan says

Hi Melinda. Yes, the fleece would go against the baby’s bum. You would out your absorbent layer inside the PUL cover then the fleece and then put the diaper on the baby as normal.

6. Theresa Hover says

These are such a great idea! I wonder if the Geffen organic cotton/hemp fleece prefolds would work well for this project.

Trackbacks