Using cloth diapers is a great way to save money, but the start up cost can be prohibitive for some families. Whether you have to decide between diapers and food or are just extremely frugal, there are several realistic ways to cloth diaper for free or almost for free.
Cloth Diaper Banks
If you are truly in need there are cloth diaper banks available. These programs have income requirements and you must be accepted. If you feel that your household income may qualify you then please apply at any of the following cloth diaper banks.
- Giving Diapers, Giving Hope
- Cloth for a Cause (Canada)
- The Rebecca Foundation
- Cloth Diaper Rescue
- Cotton Babies Share the Love
- Visit Cloth for Everybum for a current and ongoing list of banks in your area.
If you do not feel that you will qualify or have been denied but still can’t afford (or don’t want to spend) $16-$25 for a diaper there are other ways to get free cloth diapers for your baby.
Yes, blog giveaways are a legit and fun way to score free cloth diapers. Up your chances of winning by doing all of the daily entries. I don’t enter cloth diaper giveaways anymore but over the years I have won a stash worth of diapers in blog giveaways. This method takes patience, time, and luck, but it’s a lot of fun and can become addictive, especially if you win a few. Check out my tips for entering and how to win blog giveaways.
How to find blog giveaways:
- Twitter – Follow hashtags like #clothdiapers and #winallthediapers
- Facebook – Follow cloth diaper stores, brands, and blogs. Some have giveaways more often than others.
- Change Diapers – Every Friday Maria over at Change-Diapers posts a roundup of all of the cloth diaper and natural parenting giveaways that she has found on the net and people list their own giveaways there as well.
- Country Fit Family – Formerly Baby Giveaways Galore, Country Fit Family has a weekly cloth diaper giveaway link up.
Free for Shipping
There are places to find people who are selling their diapers for just the cost of shipping. They may need repair, have stains, or be brands that don’t sell well like lesser known brands or diapers from China. When looking for free diapers you can’t really be picky but you could get lucky and find someone who just wants to unload their stash quickly.
You may also find people selling their diapers FFS or for local pick up on Craigslist and Facebook. Search Facebook for groups dedicated to selling used cloth diapers. Once in a while you will find someone selling for just the cost of shipping.
Old t-shirts and receiving blankets
Yes, with just a few diaper covers you can use old t-shirts or receiving blankets as a cloth diaper. They are quite absorbent and you probably have some laying around your house right now or could pick some up for cheap at the thrift store.
Diapers in the sun image credit: Megan Myers via Flickr.