This post may contain affiliate or referral links which means I may earn a sales commission. Please see my full affiliate disclosure here.
Most of my friends are done having kids so I haven’t officially converted anyone to cloth yet. I have created interest with two people who have yet to have children though. Our babysitter and my husband’s sister-in-law, who is currently pregnant, so we’ll see.
How do I create interest?
1. I make sure to use my cutest diapers when others are visiting. Especially those who currently have or may eventually have babies. I did this with my husband’s sister-in-law a year ago and she gushed about how cute they were. I then took her up to see my stash because, well, I can never resist the opportunity.
2. I am always willing to answer questions about cloth. My husband’s sister-in-law did ask the usual, ” but what about the poop?” question that all cloth diapering parents get at least once. I told her how I handled it and mentioned that you’re actually supposed to remove poop from disposable diapers as well before throwing them away. (planting a little nugget without being overbearing)
3. I post a lot of fluffy pictures on my Facebook wall so those friends who aren’t nearby can see how cute they are and may want that cuteness for their babies. After all, it was the cuteness that got me interested at first.
4. When we left our children with a sitter I made sure to leave not only the cutest, but also the easiest of my diapers. After the first time our sitter sat for our kids she said she was going to use cloth when she had kids. Score!
5. When away from the house I also pack the cutest, easiest diapers in case a stranger sees me changing diapers. The cuteness of cloth is an easy lure, so even if they don’t ask me about it, maybe they will look into cloth when they get home.
What NOT to do
One thing to remember when trying to convert someone to cloth is don’t be pushy. I know it’s hard when you’re so passionate about something but you may end up getting the exact opposite result. I don’t know about you but I don’t respond well to a pushy approach. I want to tell every friend, acquaintance, and stranger I see how easy cloth is and why they should use it, but I bite my tongue. I just hope that seeing how easy it can be will plant a seed that will start to grow.
This post is part of the Cloth Diaper 101 Blog Hop. Check out the other posts in the Linky below to see how other bloggers convert friends to cloth