Bananas have always reminded me of my grandmother. Even to this day, she still eats a banana every day with her breakfast so when I smell a banana that is at the peak of perfection, I think of her.
Unfortunately, bananas have a very small window of perfection and if they go even a day past that perfection they become bread or muffins. Not that I’m complaining! Banana muffins are pretty amazing and this banana muffin recipe is for those of you who really love bananas. If you prefer, this same recipe also makes banana bread just by adding the batter to bread pans instead of muffin tins.
You may also like:
For this recipe, which you can find at the end of this post, you will need: about four very ripe bananas, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, a stick of butter, brown sugar, two eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon if desired.
First, the fun part. Mashing bananas! Take 2 2/3 cup of bananas, which is usually about four bananas, give or take based on size, and mash them in a bowl. I like to use a potato masher, but you could use a fork.
Once the bananas are mashed, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a separate bowl. The cinnamon is optional and a fairly new addition to this recipe, but I think it gives the finished product a subtle little kick.
Now for the wet ingredients. For you novice bakers out there, sugar is considered a wet ingredient and is to be added in this step along with the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Once those ingredients are combined, add the mashed bananas until combined and slowly beat in the dry ingredients about a half cup at a time.
If making banana bread, pour the batter into a greased 9×5 loaf pan. If making muffins, line your muffin pan with cupcake/muffin papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray and fill the cups about 3/4 of the way full.
Bake muffins for about 18 minutes, checking them after 16 minutes since ovens and muffins tins vary. If you are making banana bread instead, bake for about an hour, checking it after about 50 minutes.
When you’re done you will have moist, delicious banana muffins that are full of delicious banana flavor. I usually double this recipe so I have some muffins or a loaf of banana bread for the freezer if they even make it that far. These muffins usually go really fast in my house.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional_
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 2/3 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with muffin/cupcake papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray OR lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Add flour mixture slowly, about 1/2 cup at a time until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan or muffin pan filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes for muffins, and about 60 minutes for a bread or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.