This post may contain affiliate or referral links, meaning I may earn a sales commission at no extra cost to you. Please see my full affiliate disclosure here.
Unfortunately, bananas have a very small window of perfection and if they go even a day past that perfection they become bread or muffins. Not that I’m complaining! Banana muffins are pretty amazing and this banana muffin or banana bread with brown sugar recipe is for those of you who really love bananas.
Whether you want to make banana muffins or banana bread, this same recipe can be used for either one. Just add the batter to bread pans instead of muffin tins and change your cook time. I will get into that further below.
You also may like:
For this recipe, which you can find at the end of this post, you will need: about four very ripe bananas, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, a stick of butter, brown sugar, two eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon if desired.
First, the fun part. Mashing bananas! Take 2 2/3 cup of bananas, which is usually about four bananas, give or take based on size, and mash them in a bowl. I like to use a potato masher, but you could use a fork.
Once the bananas are mashed, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a separate bowl. The cinnamon is optional and a fairly new addition to this recipe, but I think it gives the finished product a subtle little kick.
Now for the wet ingredients. For you novice bakers out there, sugar is considered a wet ingredient and is to be added in this step along with the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Once those ingredients are combined, add the mashed bananas until combined and slowly beat in the dry ingredients about a half cup at a time.
If making banana bread, pour the batter into a greased 9×5 loaf pan. If making muffins, line your muffin pan with cupcake/muffin papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray and fill the cups about 3/4 of the way full.
Bake muffins for about 18 minutes, checking them after 16 minutes since ovens and muffins tins vary. If you are making banana bread instead, bake for about an hour, checking it after about 50 minutes.
When you’re done you will have moist, delicious banana muffins that are full of delicious banana flavor. I usually double this recipe so I have some muffins or a loaf of banana bread for the freezer if they even make it that far. These really are the best banana muffins I’ve ever had and they usually go really fast in my house.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 2/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 good-sized bananas)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a cupcake pan with muffin/cupcake papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray OR lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Add flour mixture slowly, about 1/2 cup at a time until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan or muffin pan filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes for banana muffins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. For banana bread bake about 50-60 minutes
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 12 muffins or 1 bread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 8.7gSaturated Fat: 5.2gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 32.6gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 13gProtein: 13g