This post may contain affiliate or referral links, meaning I may earn a sales commission at no extra cost to you. Please see my full affiliate disclosure here.
Are your kids Minion crazy like mine? Our son is obsessed with Despicable Me and to watch the movie one night we put together a fun Minions family movie night, complete with Minions treat bags and a popcorn bar. It was such a big hit that I can’t wait to share it with you!
Best of all, it’s so quick and easy to do. You don’t need any special artistic talent or hard-to-find materials.
First, we took out our air popper that the kids always think is so fun to use and popped some popcorn. Then we made up a fun Minions popcorn bar with add-ins for our peanut butter and jelly popcorn (recipe below) and easy-to-make Minions treat bags to put our popcorn in.
How To Make A Minions Treat Bag
To complete the experience you can make these easy Minions treat bags to hold your popcorn creations. Really, these bags are so cute and so easy! Even though I am not especially artistic, I was able to pull off these super cute bags and I’m sure you can, too.
These bags are perfect for popcorn, snacks, and goodie bags!
- Plain yellow treat bags
- Black Sharpie marker
- Silver Sharpie marker
- Googly eyes, large and medium.
- Using the ruler, draw two lines with the black marker and color them in for the straps of the minions’ goggles
- Glue either one or two eyes on the bag and let them dry
- Draw around the googly eye(s) with the silver marker
- With the black marker, draw mouths and hair on some of the bags
How To Set Up A Minions Popcorn Bar
To make it even more fun, we set up a table with our popcorn, add-ins, and popcorn bags. We bought an inexpensive Minions tablecloth to complete the look. We even made some minion money which can be used for one free bag of popcorn.
What Kind Of Popcorn To Use For A Popcorn Bar
To make the popcorn, you are only limited by your imagination. For ours, we made three different kinds of popcorn – peanut butter & jelly (recipe below), cheese, and cinnamon sugar.
Choose whatever you like for add-ins. Choose flavors that will match the kind of popcorn you’ve made; it can be savory or sweet. Here are some ideas:
|Sweet Popcorn Add-Ins||Savory Popcorn Add-Ins|
Peanut Butter & Jelly Popcorn Recipe
- 1/4 cup popcorn, about 8 cups popped
- 1 cup white chocolate, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp. strawberry jelly
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- Divide popped popcorn into two separate bowls.
- Over medium-low heat on the stove top, melt 1/2 cup white chocolate with 1 tbsp. peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
- Pour over 1 bowl of the popcorn.
- Use a rubber spatula to coat thoroughly.
- Spread out to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1/2 cup white chocolate with 1 1/2 tbsp grape jelly over medium-low heat. Stir until smooth.
- Pour over the other bowl of popcorn, and stir with rubber spatula to coat well. Spread out to cool.
- Once both batches of popcorn are cooled enough that the coatings are set, mix them both together in a bowl and serve!
Recipe source: http://www.somethingswanky.com/peanut-butter-and-jelly-popcorn/
For Added Fun
We also made Minions Money which turned out to be a big hit. It was so fun for the kids to use their own “money” to buy a bag of popcorn. You could use them for any snack that you have for movie night or a party.
Click the link to print your own Minion Money.
I hope you and your kids have as much fun with this easy, crowd-pleasing popcorn bar as we did. This would also be a fun idea for your Minions-themed kids’ party.
If You Like These Minions Treat Bags
You will love this fun and adorable Minions craft made with craft sticks!
You don’t have to be especially crafty to put together a special movie night that your child will remember or a great birthday party that the kids will be talking about.
Just some bags, a Sharpie, Googley eyes, and some popcorn are all you need for a memorable Minions movie night!