Learn How to Make a Minion Out of Craft Sticks
This post may contain affiliate or referral links, meaning I may earn a sales commission at no extra cost to you. Please see my full affiliate disclosure here.
This fun and easy craft stick Minions craft is perfect for any Despicable Me and Minions fans of all ages! They can be made as a crafty decoration or add a string to turn them into Christmas ornaments. They are easy enough for little kids to make, and older kids will also have fun making them.
We used inexpensive and easy-to-find supplies from the Dollar Store for this craft stick craft, so you can easily make it today. If you make kids’ crafts often, you may already have the materials at home.
If you are looking for easy crafts for kids, we have a perfect craft for any child. Check out our kids’ crafts section, where you will find paper plate crafts, papercrafts, and more for a fun weekend or homeschool project.
How To Make A Minion Out Of Craft Sticks
This Minion craft is made with materials that can be easily found at the Dollar Store, local craft store, or online.
You will need the following craft supplies:
- Jumbo-sized craft sticks
- Plastic water bottle caps
- Yellow, blue, black, and silver craft paint
- Blue and black cardstock
- Black Sharpie marker
- Large googly eyes
- Black pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks or craft glue
- Minions craft templates (free download)
To assemble each Minion, put four jumbo-sized craft sticks together side-by-side. With a pair of scissors, trim another craft stick to the width of the Minion, and glue them to one side (the back) with glue.
Tip: Hot glue is preferred, but craft glue will also work. If using craft glue, be sure to allow it time to dry before moving on to the next step.
Paint the craft sticks with a basecoat of bright yellow acrylic craft paint. Let it dry and, if necessary, apply a second coat of paint and allow it to dry.
Paint the water bottle caps with silver acrylic or craft paint. Let it dry, apply a second coat of paint if needed, and then allow it to dry.
Once the paint is dry, insert the googly eyes into the painted water bottle caps. Secure the googly eyes to the bottle caps with hot glue.
Cut thin strips of black cardstock and glue one to each Minion, then glue one or two googly eyes to the black strip.
Cut the pipe cleaners into smaller pieces and glue them to the top back of the Minion. Bend the pipe cleaners to look like hair.
Using black craft paint, paint on mouths in a variety of Minion-like expressions.
Download Minions craft templates and print them onto the blue cardstock. Cut out the overalls and glue them to each one of the Minions. Once the overalls are secure, cut out the pockets and attach them to the flap of the overalls with glue.
Cut the two outer ends of the craft sticks off to make feet, then paint the feet black. Let the paint dry and apply another coat if needed.
That’s it! Now you have as many adorable little Minions as you feel like making. Your child can play with them, display them in their room, or turn them into an ornament for the Christmas tree.
Or use this Minions craft idea for a fun activity or name cards for a Minions-themed party.
This craft would also be fun for the classroom or a homeschool art project.
If you keep a craft box stocked with craft sticks, googly eyes, and cardstock, you can make this Minions craft and other fun and easy kids’ crafts any time the mood strikes.
Minions Craft Stick Craft for Kids
This adorable Minions craft is easily made from craft sticks, cardstock, paint, and a few other supplies. Perfect for Preschoolers and school-aged kids or a party craft.
- Put four jumbo-sized craft sticks together side-by-side to assemble each Minion.
- With a pair of scissors, trim another craft stick to the width of the Minion, and glue them to one side (the back) with glue.
- Paint craft sticks with bright yellow craft paint; let dry. Add a second coat if necessary.
- Paint water bottle caps with silver metallic craft paint; let dry.
- Insert the googly eyes into the painted water bottle caps and secure the googly eyes to the inside of the bottle caps with hot glue.
- Cut thin strips of black cardstock and glue one strip to each Minion. Glue one or two googly eyes to the black strip.
- Cut black pipe cleaners into smaller pieces. Glue them to the top back of the Minion and bend the pipe cleaners to look like hair.
- Paint mouths in a variety of Minion-like expressions with black craft paint, or draw them with a black Sharpie.
- Download the overalls templates and print them onto the blue cardstock. Cut out the overalls and glue them to each one of the Minions. Once the overalls are secure, cut out the pockets and attach them to the flap of the overalls with glue
- Cut the two outer ends of the craft sticks off to make feet. Paint the feet black and let them dry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If You Loved This Minions Craft
You might also like these super easy Minions treat bags which are a perfect idea for a party. They can be used for goodie bags, treats, or popcorn.