This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Please see our full affiliate disclosure here.
Ready to create some Halloween magic with the kids in your house? Try this haunted house Halloween mason jar lantern, which is easy to make and requires just a few supplies. They can be completed in less than an hour with materials from any craft store!
Mason jar luminaries are the perfect craft idea for Halloween because they can be used to create a spooky atmosphere while also being functional. You can create mason jar luminaries simply by painting mason jars (or any tall jar) with acrylic paint and then decorating them with the haunted house stencils that are provided.
You can choose to use these Halloween haunted house mason jar luminaries to decorate your window sills, tabletops, front steps, or the door of your home. You could also use mason jar luminaries at a Halloween party for decoration purposes.
Find out below how to make this fun, spooky craft with your kids.
How to make a Halloween mason jar luminary
- Mason jar or another glass container – taller is better for the haunted house print out
- Haunted house stencil PDF
- Acrylic paint– blue, white, black, and yellow
- A pencil
- Black construction paper
- 1 LED candle – make sure it is an appropriate size for the jar for best results
- To make a haunted house jar, choose a mason jar (or even a pickle jar or spaghetti sauce jar) and wash it to remove any residue that might keep the paint from sticking. Dry the jar thoroughly.
2. Paint a thin layer of blue acrylic paint over the outside of the mason jar, leaving a circular area empty on the top front side for the moon.
3. Apply white acrylic paint in the circle and allow the first coat of paint to dry completely before applying the second one.
4. When the paint is dry, print out the PDF stencils, trace them onto black construction paper or cardstock and color it black, then cut out the paper template.
4. Use a thin layer of school glue to secure the haunted house on the mason jar.
5. Next, apply the second layer of blue acrylic paint around the house for a darker effect. Then use a layer of yellow paint over the white for the moon.
6. Use a pencil to lightly sketch bats where you want them.
7. Then fill in with black paint using a thin paintbrush and add some trees around the house on either side of it as well. To make the haunted house more realistic, paint the trees in the background smaller than the ones closer to the haunted house.
8. Once the paint is completely dry, it’s time for the LED candle! Flip the switch and see how the light produces faintly glowing windows with an eerie Halloween feel.
How to style your mason jar
Get creative with your Halloween mason jar lantern by setting it on a tray and decorating the surrounding area. Set the haunted house luminary on a tabletop and add cobwebs, bats, a small wooden sign that says “Beware” or something else spooky to really set the Halloween mood.
You can also add a sealed mason jar with a black and purple ribbon around it on a table with pieces of candy in it or fill the jar with plastic spiders or creepy eyeballs!
Another idea for Halloween night is to put the luminary on a table along with candy for trick-or-treaters.
Can I use my Halloween lantern outside?
This DIY Halloween luminary is perfect for decorating your home for the Halloween season. If you want to decorate outside with this luminary and to make sure it looks great until October 31st, be sure to seal the jar with a thin layer of spray acrylic.
Enjoy these other easy family craft projects like this one by subscribing below so you never miss out on our fun ideas!
We hope you and your kids have fun making this Halloween mason jar luminary. If you want more easy DIY projects, subscribe to get our family’s craft ideas!
- Choose a mason jar and wash it to remove any residue that might keep the paint from sticking. Dry thoroughly.
- Paint a thin layer of blue acrylic paint over the outside of the mason jar, leaving a circular area empty on the top front side of the jar for the moon.
- Apply white acrylic paint on the circular area. Then allow the first coat of paint to dry completely.
- Download, print, and cut out the haunted house from the PDF template below. If you prefer, you can print out the haunted house on cardstock, cut it out and trace it onto colored paper or even tissue paper.
- Use a thin layer of school glue to secure the haunted house on the mason jar.
- Next, apply the second layer of blue acrylic paint around the house for a darker effect. Then use a layer of yellow paint over the white for the moon.
- Use a pencil to lightly sketch bats where you want them, then fill them in with a thin paintbrush using black paint.
- Draw some trees around the house and also a few on the background using and pencil, then black paint. To make it more realistic, make sure you make the trees in the background smaller than the ones closer to the haunted house.
- Once the paint is completely dry, it's time for the LED candle! Flip the switch and see how the light produces faintly glowing windows with an eerie Halloween feel.